Jr. FIRST LEGO League (Jr. FLL) is a branch of FIRST robotics for elementary students. Many elementary schools across the United States and over 50 other countries have implemented the Jr. FLL program into their school and science curriculums.
Jr. FLL Mission Statement: It encompasses the core concepts of all FIRST programs to inspire, excite, and introduce kids to the wonders of science, technology, and engineering.
A maximum of six students must work together to create a robot and various other tasks for the season. Each year, a team is expected to do the following (with the help of mentors):
- Design and build challenge solutions using LEGO elements
- Apply real-world math and science concept
- Research challenges facing today’s scientists
- Learn team-building and presentation skills
- Develop Show-Me poster
Aside from learning about science, math, and technology, Jr. FLL participants abide by the following rules, each of which emphasize the importance of gracious professionalism:
- We are a team.
- We do the work. Our coaches and mentors help us learn, but we find the answers ourselves.
- We share our experiences and discoveries with others.
- We are helpful, kind, and show respect when we work, play, and share. We call this Gracious Professionalism.
- We are all winners.
- We have fun.
To learn more about Jr. FLL, click here.